Monday, June 16, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

When you read a book, you are really putting together a visual story in your head of what the characters look like, the scenery around them, and the interactions between one another. The past books that I have read, what I envisioned was different from what the movie presented. However, the Fault in Our Stars book and movie were almost verbatim. What I envisioned Hazel Grace to look like was very similar to the way she was presented in the movie. Augustus too. The only character my mind was thrown off by was Peter Van Houten. When he turned around for the first time in Amsterdam, I almost jumped. I was picturing an old cute man, but he looked more like a young, wrinkled, monkey-looking man.
 
When reading this book, I also connected to Hazel Grace. Although I am not struggling with cancer, as a teenager, we all struggle with teenager things. One critic wrote, It gets everything right about being young and in love for the first time.” The first emotional connection that you feel when you’re a teenager, mainly everyone can connect to, which was heartwarming. For example, the word, “okay” meant everything to Hazel and Grace, and I know we all have had a little symbol that reminds us of the one we truly love.


In the book and in the movie, you were able to feel that connection that Josh Boone and John Greene gave to you. I applaud both of them on putting together a  movie and book, that the emotional connection with the viewer was strong enough to make it so well known and liked.

1 comment:

  1. again, i needed you to really analyze something specific about the film...not just a quick review/soundbite.

    ReplyDelete